Number Talks: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K-5
$73.95 (as of September 10, 2018, 4:57 am)
- Amazon Customer Reviews
1. A five- to fifteen-minute classroom conversation around purposefully crafted computation problems that are solved mentally.
2. The best part of a teacher s day.
This resource was created in response to the requests of teachers those who want to implement number talks but are unsure of how to begin and those with experience who want more guidance in crafting purposeful problems. This dynamic multimedia resource supports teachers in understanding:
* what a classroom number talk is;
* how to follow students thinking and pose the right questions to build understanding;
* how to prepare for and design purposeful number talks; and
* how to develop grade-level-specific strategies for the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Number Talks includes connections to NCTM s Principles and Standards for School Mathematics, as well as an abundance of reference tables to help you quickly and easily locate strategies, number talks, and video clips.
Facilitator s Guide
While the book may be used as an independent resource, it is also structured to provide a framework for collaborative learning groups or to provide professional development opportunities through grade-level teams, individual schools, or districts. Chapter 9 serves as a facilitator s resource, providing guidance for use of the video clips by grade level along with discussion questions to support reflection and collegial conversations about number talks and students learning.
The accompanying DVD provides a visual platform for teachers to reflect on their current practices and target essential understandings from their readings. The DVD features 19 number talks filmed in actual classrooms, plus seven bonus tracks highlighting interviews with the author and teachers. Clips range from five to ten minutes in length with a total viewing time of approximately two hours.